Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint2003: Costomize notification EMail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukelukeluke

Technical User
Dec 23, 2003
CH
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to customize the content of a notification EMail? (Im talking about notification EMails which are sent after there are replies to document libraries, discussions and such.
If thats not possible, is there another way to let people know about news in a custom email? Maybe with "Event Log Messages"?

Thanks alot!
Greetings, lucas

There is information related to this in the WSS SDK Help file. You can download it from here:

The beginning of the help is below (it is followed by more details and examples):
Customizing the Message Text for Alerts
You can modify the content and format of e-mail alerts about changes made to list items in Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services by customizing XML files that are installed in the Local_Drive\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\Template\1033\XML directory. These files include NotifItem.xml, NotifListHdr.xml, NotifSiteFtr.xml, and NotifSiteHdr.xml, each of them defining a specific part of the overall message that is sent. Each of these files implements a subset of Collaborative Application Markup Language (CAML) to construct the resulting HTML.

Warning: Changes that you make to files described in this topic may be lost when you update Windows SharePoint Services such as through service packs or patches.

hi cdipaolo,
thanks alot for youre answer!

Are you sure these files are for the notification email?
We have already gone through theses files and while we looked inside theyr code, we found out that it looked like the notifications on the "my site" of the sharepoint users.

thanks, luke

Webmaster of knowledgebase for IT knowledge.

I'll admit that I haven't modified these, but it states that they are for "the content and format of e-mail alerts about changes made to list items" which it sounds like you are trying to do...

Sorry I can't provide any pratical advice beyond the link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back