Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SharePoint Portal Server... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermama

Programmer
Sep 13, 2001
PY
Somebody tried the SharePoint Portal Server? We are making the first steps to implement it and I need some comments of people that already tried it! Thank you! :)

hi there! at last! one more person to join this topic!

i tried it already, yes, but i am not quite happy with the speed of how i can access my documents. specially powerpoint slideshows. these documents run much faster from an ordinary network share.

care to add in guys?!

:)
Jeffrey Rebong
Computer Engineer/Network Administrator
jrtech@email.com

Hi folks,

I too am very intrested in any real info regarding SarePoint. I have visited Microsoft for a briefing and it looks impressive. But I guess it would there.
I am almost ready to purchase so any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Hi there.

Wow I'm really happy that finally there are some people to discuss about Share Point, until now it's been very lonely.

In my company we're already implementing SharePoint as our Corporate Portal, and until now it's working fine. Of course it has its has its tricks and dark sides but it still ok.

I've a very particular doubt we have a project to implements a Corporate SAN and I'd like the Share Point to use the benefits of it. However I've been reading the any documentation I found and until now it looks like SharePoint is:
* Not Cluster Aware
* Not Balancing capabilities whatsoever.

As you sure understand SharePoint will be a very critical application for my organization and I don't want to depend in a simple mirror system for the redundancy of this system when I can use a more optimal solution as it's a SAN!

Somebody has been in a similar situation o can give me some advise about it

Adolfo Schael
IT Project Manager
aschae@cantv.com.ve

Hi,
Glad to know that u r using SharePoint.

I too am in the stages of implementing it.
I have a problem though.

While adding a web site to be included in the search (e.g. "Add content source". It accepts the web site name & even indexes it. But when I try to index it , it says "Update Failed". The log shows the entry
Message : Error fetching URL, (8007052e - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. )

URL:
Why is this happening?
The problem is not only with this. Its with even Lotus Notes database.
Pls help me out.

I did severel meetings with Microsoft people before starting my SPS installation, by now the SPS does not support clustering or load balancing as stated by the Mic. tech people. Microsoft is actually implementing an SPS enterprise edition including Clustering and load balacing features (no known release date). Meanwile I'm scanning the Mic. download area waiting for any patch about Clustering and LB.

Hello all

We are using the eval version. I am having problems adding in documents from a file server on the LAN. I added it in extrnal content, and did an index, but no docs show up. We have 1000's of docs, and I don't want to "copy" them to the workspace.

Any hints???

Dave Webster, MCSE, CCA
Network Admin.

I'm having the same problem yodaki is (can't get the sign in and sign out (OR the Publish) options using Office XP). They are greyed out. I also need some advice from those that have successfully used Office 2000 with the "add in" with Sharepoint. Any problems there? Thanks!

Hi, you all seem to know quite a bit about SPS. I'm looking at developing a web app to run across our Intranet in .NET. Is SPS an alternative or a complement to IIS?

We are on our way to implement SPS at the moment.

One of my small problems at the moment it that yesterday told me that SPS is using it's own database.
Nobody has said anything about that and we are going into production 1 of May.

Anyone know how to get NetBackup to take backups of SPS?

Can we store 100.000 - 1.000.000 small documents and expect good responsetime?

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back