Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint List: Hide Columns for All Except Select Few 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrayr

Technical User
Jan 31, 2006
US
Hi All.

I'm very new to Sharepoints and Sharepoint Designer. I've used Sharepoint Designer to create workflow e-mails (barely). That's the extent of my exposure to this software.

I have a sharepoint list. I've been asked to create columns that only my team will be able to view and modify.

How can I limit columns to only be viewable and able to be modified by a few individuals?

Thank you for your help!

You have a few options.

1. Use Java on each page / View / Form.

2. Buy a product.

3. SharePoint Designer to edit the pages.

Keep in mind, a user could simply create a new View and they would see the columns. So, you might also look into restricting creating new views.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your response.

Option 3 removes the ability to utilize the attachments in the sharepoint list. I tried this yesterday using:

The company I work for will not allow me to use sharepointboost (and other, similar software).

I'll need to look into the Java........

Thanks!

Xrayr,
Is this going to be a continuous need or is this a "one-off"? I know of a Third party tool called SharePoint Boost View columns permission tool that would do what you want.Im using it with a client to prevent all but a specific few users from accessing a document library.
Dont know if this will help or not but thought I would make you aware of it

Disclosure: I do NOT work with or for SharePoint Boost. I have used their products nothing more

Anything worth doing is worth messing up at least 5 times before you get it right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back