Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint licensing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

revururaj

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2005
US
Gurus:

Quick question regarding the license, my company is planning to buy a share point portal server 2003. So whas wondering if i could get some help in that.

Here is what we have,

1. 75 Internal employees,
2. 200 Partners who will be accessing the sharepoint portals.

How should i treat the above total number? 200+75? Do i have to buy so many licenses?

What kinda of licensing am i looking into?

They have 2 different license models

1. Sharepoint portal server($6,000) + CAL($75 a piece) model
2. Sharepoint Portal server external connector model ($30,000)

Please help

Thanks,

Hello,

If you are going to have external access to the sharepoint portal you will have to buy external connector licenses.

So your 75 internal persons use CAL and the 200 partners would use 200 external connector licenses (if they are accessing your site from i.e Internet).

I am not totally sure if you allow those external persons access to your LAN via VPN and then access your portal, I would then believe you can use CAL licenses there.

It's quite a djungle with these licenses, I would suggest you either contact your software supplier or Microsoft to get it all in writing.

When we setup our extranet environmet we chosed to go with Windows SharePoint services just to get the license cost down.

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas:

I really appreciate your reply back.
But if you dont mind, can you little bit elaborate how you did the following(this is from your response).
When we setup our extranet environmet we chosed to go with Windows SharePoint services just to get the license cost down.

Thanks,
Raj

Hello,

Windows SharePoint Services comes as an addon for Windows Server 2003 and you do not need to pay an additional license for it (i.e when you buy the W2K3 server license you get Windows SharePoint Services with that).

Windows SharePoint Services does not require separate external connector licenses as the SharePoint Portal does.
You only need to buy the Windows Server 2003 External Connector licences.

I do not know the exact prises for the SharePoint Portal Server external connector license but I know it was quite high.

Here is a good link to a document from Microsoft which describes the differences between SharePoint Services and SharePoint Portal server
Best Regards,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back