Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint as webserver...... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexas

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2004
US
Hello everyone,

We are using our sharepoint server as our normal webserver as well and I am looking for some tips / hints for running multiple sites on IIS with sharepoint. We are currently having problems viewing our sharepoint site from our workstations as when we type in the IP or NAME of the server we pull up another site. Where should we look to make some corrections?

Thank you,

vex

Hello,

I would suggest using hostheader forwarding in IIS when you run multiple sites. Or assign an additional IP address for the specific virtual website (however binding Sharepoint sites to an IP address might have some impacts when you want to do customization..atleast I read that somewhere)

I am running some 30 virtual websites (SharePoint sites) and some additional websites on the same webserver (IIS)and I use hostheader forwarding on all of them.

I just then create a host record in the DNS that points to the machine name, i.e sharepoint.mycompany.com points to servername and in IIS, for the specific virtual server I have assigned hostheader forwarding to point to sharepoint.mycompany.com

Regards,
Thomas

Hey,

Thank you for your help. Any chance I could be pointed in the right direction of how to start using host headers and running additional IP addresses. I think additional IP's might work better.

My knowledge in this area is very limited and any addional help would be appreciated. =)

Thank you,

vex

In you Internet Information Service manager, select a virtual website or create one, go to its properties and under the Website Tab in the Web site indentification (your still whit me?). Then u can use ip adress unasigned and use a different port number for each webserver/site. then go to advanced and select the item in the list an press edit to assign a hostheader.

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back