Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint application advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2001
US
First let me thank everyone on this board. I find that writing on this board and the responses very useful.

Here is my situation. I have installed Sharepoint and SQL2000 on my server. The project was a success and everyone seems to like the document managment that we have started.

Now my boss wants me to put time sheets on the web site. Currently everyone faxes them in and we key them into ACCESS database. The only thing we want to avoid is having the employee type their name and pick the project number. Since the employee has to sign onto the sharepoint; can we capture thier name?

I am a novice and appreciate the help

From what you described, it sounds more like a project / time allocation database than a timesheets application. I've done something similar to this using lookup type fields for the project and task. These project and task items were kept in different lists and maintained seperately. Also, data entered into SharePoint lists is accessable from Microsoft Access 2003 as a web data source and can be reported in that fashion.

Here's a link to a good article on setting up project based list and related data with SharePoint:
Hope this helps.

- Glen

Know thy data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back