Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Resource 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2001
US
Is an external shared storage device REQUIRED to utilize the Microsoft Clustering Service on Windows2000 Adv Server?

Based on everything I have read, I gather that it is, but would like to avoid the major investment if possible.

Based on all what I read it is true. All the microsoft clusters implemented in our company do have external shared resource. BTW, I also believe that it MUST be an external SCSI hard drive.

I agree. I administer a MSCS at my site and have just attended MSCS admin training. There is NO option. You MUST have the external storage device and preferably fibre channel.
Have a look at the Dell web site they have info on configuring a MSCS with all the bits and pieces you will need.
Rgds
Neil

Shaliko...

What if you want to implement Clustering on servers that are already active? For example, we have exchange servers that we would like to upgrade to seperate clusters. Would we just have to get all new hardware and an ext storage device and then xmerge the exchange data to the new servers?

thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back