Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared printer on W2k Pro box - access by Win98 - How 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccprgrmr

Programmer
Jul 7, 1999
US
Hi all:

I'm trying to give a shared printer access that is a resource on a Win2k pro system to two Win98 boxes. Whatever I do, I get the password window when attempting to connect through the network neighborhood window. I have added both Win98 users to the users on the Win2k box, but still get the password required. How does one access shared resources from a Win98 box to a Win2K box.

This is probably easily done, but I have little experience in Win2k, especially in desktop version.

Thanks

John Garrison
John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

You could enable the Guest account on the Win2k box, you will not be prompted for a password then.

Go into the Control Panel, click Users and Passwords. Take the Advanced tab then click the Advanced button. Click Users in the box that appears (left plain) then right click the Guest account (right plain). Untick the Disable this Account.
New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

You could also add those users locally to the 2k machine in question and give them the same password as their actual local accounts on their machines. Then you could map the drive and check the reconnect at logon... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Marking the Guest account as active worked like a charm, thanks for the help.
John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back