Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared mailboxes not functioning as expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrivenj

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2003
GB
Hi,

We have a number of shared mailboxes that we have set-up within Exchange 2003 (this is a new migration to Exchange 2003 & Outlook 2003).

To demonstrate, we would like Joe.Bloggs and Joe.Public (members of the sales-team group) to be able to have access to all Emails sent to themselves and also all mails sent to Sales@domain.com.

They should also be able to send mails that look as if they are coming from sales@domain.com.

So what I have done is created a User called sales in ADUC and allowed it to create an Exchange mailbox with an SMTP address of sales@domain.local and a primary address of sales@domain.com.

Then I have given the sales-team group 'Full Mailbox Access' by following this Microsoft procedure:-

This seems to work and means that the user can then add this mailbox to their Outlook and can see all Email folders for the shared mailbox.

Then I followed this procedure:-

This was to give the sales-team group 'Send As' permissions on the sales mailbox.

This didn't work and someone else pointed me to this revised procedure:-

I have tried this and it also doesn't appear to work.

What I try and do is put 'sales@domain.com' in the 'From' field and send from Joe.Bloggs mailbox.

When I try this, I get the message:-

'You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user'

The only way I seem to be able to get round this is to give the sales team delegate rights.

However, then when Joe.Bloggs sends a message - in Outlook 2003 the sender is listed as Joe Bloggs on behalf of Sales.

From an external web address, it shows as coming from Sales, but a quick glance at the mail header lists Joe.Bloggs@domain.com.

We really want to hide the Joe.Bloggs Email.

I'm sure I have had this working on previous systems but I just can't seem to work out what I'm doing wrong.....

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Jon

Jon, you are getting confused between send as and send on behalf of.

Undo any of the send on behalf of as the two items sort of conflict. Then ensure that both staff have send as within sales. In Outlook, you should then be able to respond correctly.

Zelandakh,

As previously stated:-

...snip...
>> Then I followed this procedure....
>> ...This was to give the sales-team group 'Send As' permissions on the sales mailbox.....
>> ...I have tried this and it also doesn't appear to work.
>> What I try and do is put 'sales@domain.com' in the 'From' field and send from Joe.Bloggs mailbox.
>> When I try this, I get the message:-
>> 'You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user'
>> The only way I seem to be able to get round this is to give the sales team delegate rights.

So to clarify, I have followed the procedure to give users 'send as' permission, however, when they try to 'send as' they get the error message "YOU DO NOT HAVE THE PERMISSION TO SEND THE MESSAGE ON BEHALF OF THE SPECIFIED USER".

The only way I could find to get round this error was to give delegate access - I am aware that this then means that 'send on behalf of' is used as oppossed to 'send as', but as the only alternative is not being able to send messages at all, this is what I have had to use until I can work out why the 'send as' is not working.

Any ideas you have as to getting 'send as' to work will be gratefully received. I have followed the Microsoft procedures as outlined in my previous Email to the letter.

Thanks.

Jon

OK - I nailed it. It was working all along. The problem is that Exchange can take a while for the changes to take effect (up to two hours apparantly). The quick method is to restart the Information Store, but obviously this is not possible within working hours!

Thanks for the help!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back