Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shared local printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoja

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
US
I have 5 users that use a poorly written piece of software that has
virtutally no support available. (We are going to replace it but for now
it'a all we got) All the pc's are XP SP2. They share a local printer. It
works for all the programs (Office, etc.) with the exception of this special
software. Does anyone have any ideas what could be stopping it from
printing? It worked fine on the 98's. Are there any settings that might
stop it.

yoja,

Is this a windows app or a DOS app?
Does it have any settings for printing? What might they be?
Owing to the fact that it functioned under w98 there is most probably a setting that has been missed on you conversion to XP.

More detail is required to attempt any consise answer.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

rvnguy -

It is a windows app, but I have not been able to find any place with print(er) settings. The software company has no idea. XP is kind of new to them allow they insist they have the same setup running on XP and printing works fine.

You say 5 PCs share this local printer. I presume you mean the printer is attached to a machine on the network. Is the machine to which the printer is directly attached (LPT? USB?) also running this problem software? Does this software print locally to LPT/USB, i.e. not over the network?

When you had it running on W98, what was it printing to? Local and/or network printer? LPT or USB?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

If you purchase a printserver (you can get them usb or lpt) this might solve the problem. When you set up a print server it creates a local port on the computer and appears to be attached locally to the operating system. This might trick to program into thinking it is a local printer.

Is the shared printer the default on all machines running the app? If there is no setting, then it may be using it.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back