Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared line issue since upgrading to 4.0(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adop

Technical User
Sep 3, 2004
Since we have upgraded our CallManager to 4.0(2) we have lost an icon (X sign) off the LCD screen on Cisco 7960 IP phone, which pops up on a shared phone if other user is currently on the line. I noticed that screen on the phone looks different since the upgrade. When 2 users share a phone line, and one of the users is currently on the line, the 2nd user knows that line is busy when the “X” (instead of phone symbol) shows on the LCD screen (Cisco 7960). Does anyone one knows if this feature is no longer available in 4.0 version of CallManager, or if there is a way to turn it on? Thank you.

I don't know if the 'X' is available any more. The new icon is something like 2 handsets above each other. This still indicates that the other phone is in use.

The 'X' may have been a little more noticeable but Cisco may have felt it was misleading. When I see an 'X' through an icon, I think of it as being disabled like when you mute your volume on your PC and the speaker icon in the system tray is X-ed out. The new icon shows a phone off-hook which is more accurate.

My problem is that 2 handsets do not change to off-hook symbol on the LCD screen when any of the two users who share the same line are on the phone call. There is no way for assistant to see when a manger is on the line. For example: someone calls and assistant picks up the phone. Now she would like to forward call to manager who shares the line, but before she does it, she needs to know if he is already talking to someone.
I haven’t changed anything in my settings. We just upgraded CallManager to 4.0(2). How can I get the phone (7960) to show off-hook symbol when one of the users who share the same line is currently using the line? Thank you.

Try setting the busy line number and the max calls per line to 1. The default is a 4 call max with 2 call busy indicator.

My system shows the symbol with the default calls per line setting. When you look at the line settings on the phones, does it show 'Shared Line" in red and both phones show up? Are you certain they are both in the same Partition?

Thanks guys. However, setting maximum number of calls and busy trigger to 1 didn’t change anything. Both phones show up and are on the same partition. Also, shared line appears in red. I was wondering if on the phones that you guys are using phone icon on the LCD turns into off-hook icon when one of the users who share the same line picks up the handset to make a call. Our shared lines are shared between 7940 (manager’s primary line) and 7960 (assistant’s secondary line). When manager is talking on the phone, phone icon on the assistants phone for that line does not changes into off-hook icon, and therefore she can’t know if manger is using the phone or not.

hmm, that kinda sucks - I realize the importance of assistants monitoring the line of the managers, but I think there were some fundamental differences in the way lines work in 4.0(x).

I wonder if any of the privacy or call waiting settings would apply here?

My phones are the same as yours, 7940 and 7960. My icons change when the other phone goes off hook on the shared line. I upgraded from CCM 3.3.4 to 4.0(2) also. Have you applied the latest patches? Other than that I'm at a loss. Sorry.

Got it! Privacy by default was on. It needs to be set to off. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back