Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared installation of Office97 on NW4.1 and SR1, SR2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccu

MIS
Dec 28, 1999
US
Visit site
Maybe we are the only ones doing this but...We have a NW4.1 server and office97 is installed on the server and WS run office from the server. I understand that Office97 SR1 patch did not come with and admin install. Thus it can not be installed on the Novell server, right?<br>
<br>
I find it very hard to believe that someone has not figured out how to have Office97 running from a Novell server and have it with the latest patches from Novell. Can anyone help or shed some light on this subject for me?<br>
<br>
We will be upgrading to Office 2000 in the new year. Is this supported as a server install?<br>
<br>
Any comments, suggestions would be greatly welcomed.<br>
<br>
RS Hamilton<br>
Thank you<br>

Sure, you can patch it to SR1 and SR2. SR1 should just let you run the patch from a workstation. SR2 requires some variables in the run command, but this is detailed in the readme that comes with SR2. The real important thing is that no one is in MSOffice, or has any part of Office (such as the shortcut bar) open, or the admin patch install will fail. Do a ctrl-alt-del at each w/s and make sure OSA and FindFast are not running. I found it just much simpler to do this update over the weekend, and I made sure all w/s were turned off so I didn't have to worry about any open files. <br>
<br>
As for Office 2000 - yes you can RNS (run from network server - MS's acronym) install it - Check MS's knowledgebase - articles are changing daily with tips, troubleshooting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back