Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Excel worksheet growing too large - How do I stop it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roosters

Technical User
May 14, 2000
AU
I have a shared Excel file with -
* Don't keep change history
* Update changes every 5 minutes
* Save my changes and see others' changes
* The changes being saved win
- option boxes selected.
The file grows from 2 meg to 60 meg in a week, I have buttons that sort data at regular intervals with mainly only changes to existing data being made. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Phil.

Phil:

If any of the following is true, it could be your problem:

The file was autoformatted.
You're saving it to a lesser version (or someone is).
Blank cells need to be cleared (someone may be pasting data and then removing it, but the cells aren't really cleared).

Try getting everybody out of it and one-by-one copy the sheets to a brand new file.

I don't see how you can have BOTH of these selected:

* Don't keep change history
* Save my changes and see others' changes

I'm not sure what this is supposed to say/mean:

* The changes being saved win (when/with?)
- option boxes selected.

techsupportgirl@home.com

Dreamboat:

'* Don't keep change history' is only a record of changes made for future reference I think. (which I don't need)
'*Save my changes and see others' changes' is when other uses make a change I need to see it whithin 5 minutes and visa versa.
'* The changes being saved win' When an entry is made in a cell the most recent change wins - I think - or thats what I need. I will try what you suggested but am pretty sure all are using '97. Does this make sense as I need this problem resolved.
Phil

Rooster,

There is a known bug in Excel 97 that does exactly what your problem is.

If anyone or any of your VBA code is using SaveAs and specifying the SaveAs type "Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook" or "Microsoft Excel 97/2000 Workbook", The file will double in size.

There is no known way to fix this other than copying each page one at a time from the affected file to a new workbook.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back