Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Database doesn't open under Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpl2001

Programmer
Dec 18, 2001
CA
Hello:

I'm doing some testing in preparation for an upgrade to windows 8 (I know...I'm in the government, we don't do things quickly).

I have a shared access database. Currently users run the front end of the database from their desktop, and the backend is location on a remote server. Currently, under windows 7, everything works fine. I my testing under windows 8, I get a message that the file can't be opened because it is already in use. Any ideas where this issue is coming from?

TIA.

Holly

Are you sure the Windows 8 machine is configured to not open the database exclusively nor any other clients that may have it opened?
Are you sure the Windows 8 machine / user has modify permission to the file directory that the Access files are in?

Beyond that I would look to networking and file sharing issues with Windows 8, I believe this would be domain or homegroup depending on your setup. I've never used Windows 8 in a business environment and would not if I had a choice. I'm looking forward to upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 ASAP because I find 8 horrible... I say this and I don't mind using Vista.

Thanks Lameid. Quick question...do you know if there's a place in Windows 8 where one configure how the database is being opened? I thought the ability to do this was set withing in the database itself. At the momment it successfully allows multi user access for our Win7 machines.

In Access 2010 under File, options, Client Settings Tab, Advanced Section there is a Default Open mode that should be set to Shared. This is application level and should be on each client (or with Group Policy, assuming it is in there) and is independent of Windows. It should be in similar places in Access 2007 to Access 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back