Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Borders and Centered Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceoft

Programmer
Dec 9, 2002
US
Hello,
I can't seem to figure out how to create a centered fixed-width layout and use shared borders at the same time. Frontpage ('02) always seems to stretch the finished layout to 100% of the page, which makes huge spaces between the side borders and the main content if I size the content absolutely. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks much-
Elijah

make sure your tables are set to pixel not percent.
a trick some people use is to put a blank image in the table to prevent the cells shrinking.

Aaron Taylor
John Mutch Electronics

Hi Elijah,

Not sure if this will be helpful, but sometimes using right and left set to the same size will do this. You could use pixel sized tables as Aaron suggested or a transparent spacer gif in each border set to the same size.

Also, if this isn't an option, using indent can sometimes make your content look more centered.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

First, thanks for the replies.

It's a little more complicated, because Frontpage creates a master layout table while compiling the borders, and it always sets this table to 100% width. The blank gif tricks will work if you dont have to worry about the screen size changing, but I have to be able to adjust to 800x600 and 1024x768. I wish I would have gotten the company to buy dreamweaver when I started but they had already spent the $ on frontpage. I did my personal site just the way i wanted with DW--I love the way you can make templates w/ editable content regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back