Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

share vb across web?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick283

MIS
Jul 5, 2002
US
Myself and another person are working on a project. I wrote a small VB app that is basically a "to-do" list. It has assignments, due dates, etc. This is fine, except I don't know how to share it across the internet so that we can both update it.

I want the info to be in a place where we can both access it (on the internet or across the internet) where we can both easily update it. The way I wrote the VB script is that the data just gets put into text files that are modified when changes are made on the interface screen.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to share this script? I just need to be pointed in the correct direction. I wouldn't be opposed to buying something, if it fit our needs. The collaboration programs I've been able to find mostly have to do with "on-line meetings" and "chat rooms", which we don't really need.

Okay, but how would I do that so that we'd both be updating the same file? What I want to avoid is having to dl the file, update it, and then have the upload the file again. Innevitably, we would both have the file downloaded, and then both upload it and someone's updates would get overwritten and lost.

I am wide open to suggestions.

What you want is a multiuser database app. The interface inquires/reports what's in the db and then you INSERT/UPDATE data. The database is never directly accessed by the user.

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back