Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share to non Domain users

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnull

MIS
Oct 30, 2003
US
I need to share a folder to some non domain users. I have never done this. What group do I give rights to? I don't want the username password window to come up if possible.

You would need to set rights to Everyone.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I would set the share with rights for a local user on the machine its on. Then, have the other machine map to it with that user/password.

If, after you do the above, you still have problems getting non-domain users access to the shares, you can try either of the following:

- allow access to 'anonymous users' at both the share and NTFS level

- go the ftp route instead and have the users connect to a share via ftp. This will allow you to keep the permissions a lot tighter while still allowing access to non-domain users.

ShackDaddy

I got it to work, but I had to jump through a couple of hoops. Yes you can grant share rights to "anonymous user", but you must also go into local security settings and set the shares enabled for anonymous users.
It is found in "Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/Network access:Shares that can eb accessed anonymously".

FYI the share name is case sensitive both in the settings and via the actual share point.

I guess I should have pointed out that I am using Windows 2003 because I learned that the Everyone group no longer includes "anonymous user". Infact there are a bunch of new security options that specifically block anonymous shares etc.

Thanks Shackdaddy and djtech2k for your help!

Enable the GUEST ACCOUNT!!! Assign it a password. when your non-domain users are through with this share...disable the GUEST ACCOUNT. Have the users connect to the share via UNC. I am assuming these Non-domain users are consultant or something to that effect. Don't give excessive rights...make sure this share is locked down tight. Make it a hidden share if neccessary! Hope this helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back