Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share One Computer to Multi-user simutaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABAMOTO

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2005
US
I am trying to set up a computer that can be shared by more than one user in order to save the cost on purchasing additional desktop.

I would like to know if there is any downside to it, such as reliability issue, and what is the best software to go for?

Thank you all very much =)

Do you mean you want to allow users to log on under their own names, and have their own settings and data kept separate from other users' settings and data?

That is a basic feature of most modern operating systems, like Linux or Windows. The main exceptions would be "Home" versions of Windows. If you wanted to use Windows, you might need to use the "Professional" version.

There are no significant downsides to this system, in fact there are several advantages related to system security.

Do you want both users on at the same time? Or just 1 at a time? You can set xp home for multiple users the same as xp pro.

Wayne

2 people can not use the same keyboard so you would have to have at least one other limited use system to facilitate the networking to have multiple users sign on the main system simultaneously. Linux is an operating system that is more designed for mulitple users because it is designed to facilitate ownership of files and directories where the files can be hidden from other users. Linux can operate as a server environment serving several users.

There are systems in commercial use that can do similar things. Citrix is a system that comes to mind. They use a central server and the light workstations load up things like the data processing software off of the server. However, with just 2 people I can not see any great price savings from such a plan. However, if you had 2 computers or an older third computer, it might be fun to experiment with a Linux box set up as a server.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Windows Terminal Server licenses are pretty expensive... at least they used to be.

There are also add-on cards that supply video, kbd and mouse connections for several users. It's been a while since I looked them up but if you google on- multi user windows -you will probably find them.

.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Interesting motherboard. It is one thing to make a claim like this, but I have never seen anything like this functioning. Seems like you would have to have a mulit-user license or something like that for it to be done legally. Recommend lots of RAM. I imagine 2 instances of MS Word/IE/E-mail/Chat and everything else all open at once would bog most systems down.

I have seen how a mainframe and an AS400 works for multiple users, but it all boils down to how the multiple users are going to access the system. I wonder if you have to use VMWARE and run 2 instances of the same OS or if 2 users are suppose to access the same OS. Windows XP is not designed for 2 simultaneous users. These are the questions you need to ask yourself before deciding what to do.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thank you all for the reply...

I have searched some Software online regarding multi-user on one workstation. To clarify, what I meant by multi-user is that 2 or more users can access windows seperately on one computer with add-on graphic cards to monitors and USB hubs... However, after asking around, I feel that it is still the best to use two seperate computers in case of any Hardware corruption if I only use one computer for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back