Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

share modem with linux box

Status
Not open for further replies.

workjohnout

Technical User
Aug 9, 2001
US
My primary computer runs Win2K. I dialup to the Internet. My ISP doesn't support Linux. I have a linux box that I want to use online. Can I share the modem on my Win2K box with the linux box via some sort of network?

Thanks

It should not matter that the ISP does not support Linux, I am assuming you are referring to the software they provide you. All that means is you need to manually configure your dial-up networking within Linux. As far as the ISP is concerned it is all TCP/IP, that is not operating system dependent. If I were you I would slap a new modem in your Linux box, configure it with a dial-up access number from your ISP and go to town.

Thanks.

fyi I'm using Red Hat 6.1 because it was free on CD and I have 2 good books on it

do I need a new modem or can I use one I already have (US Robotics)?

Can I get on the net ok with 6.1 or should I upgrade to 7.3?

(sorry for turning this into linux thread...)

or you can simply install Proxxy softeware on your 2K box

WinProxy(not intending a brand plug) is an exelent NAT proxy/firewall, which costs only $40(US) to register, supports DHCP and transparet proxy, and can easily serve to ANY DHCP enabled OS, there are many others avail, that was just one. I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Red Hat 6.1 will definitely get you on-line ok. As far as do you need a new modem, that depends on which model you have. Go to the US Robotics web site and see if they have a linux driver for your particular model. If they do you are in luck, if not you'll need a different modem. Most modems other that winmodems should have Linux support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back