Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share files between a Win2k domain laptop and XP Workgroup computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmorones

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
I have a corporate laptop that I am using at home and would like to share files with my home network. The laptop is setup on a corporate doamin. ex:abc.corporate.com
My home network is a workgroup called mshome. I would like to find out if there is some way to share files between my corporate laptop and a computer on my home network. Is this possible? Changing the corporate laptop to a workgroup is not an option as I do not have admin rights over the laptop. Thank you.

What IP settings do you have in your home network, and what IP settings do you have in your Work laptop.

Is it DHCP?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

If the machines do have IP addresses in the same range (whether via DHCP or manually entered) you should be able to access each from the other. Just type \\machinename in the run box (ie, the other machine name). You may need to set up account on your home machine with same username/logon as you use on work machine (though it should prompt for username/password when you try to access resources). And you'll have to set up shares of course.

They are both on dhcp so they are in the same subnet. However, when I try to find one of my home computers using \\machinename, I get a message saying that there are no domain servers available.

can you ping the machine?

what happens if you use \\ip address rather than \\machinename?

where are you typing \\machinename - I've never seen that message in this context. Network resource not available/accessible yes.

Are there any policies set on your work machine domain (just wondering if its been set up to always validate network requests on the domain server - which would explain that message).

I don't suppose its possible to log on to the work machine locally?

Do you get same message whichever way you try the connection (ie, same from work to home as home to work machine)?

Thanks for your help everyone. I have found that since the user does not have admin rights on the laptop, the easiest thing to do is to get an external hard drive. It is working fine and accomplishing what I wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back