Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OracleVictim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have an Access database on a share drive that is set to multi-user, no locks.... I'm using folder security to control access to it. All authenticated users have read access and about 4 folks have read/write to this folder... The database itself is Access 2003 in a 2000 format. Until recently all of my users were on Windows 2000. And all worked well. Now they are in the process of upgrading to Windows XP....

The problem is that whenever anyone with write privs to the folder opens the app, other XP users are locked out (but anyone with Windows 2000 can get in)... But oddly enough they don't get an error.... They double click on the app and nothing at all happens.... However, it appears that multipe "read only" users can access the app simultaneously.

I've tried splitting the app into client server (no luck), I've converted the database to 2002-2003 format...(no luck), and I have tried giving all authenticated users write privs to the folder (no luck). Oh, lastly, I simply created a default database and tossed it into the share folder to see if it acted the same as my bad application (it did..... So I'm convinced that the application itself is fine).

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

This is due, as far as I know, to Access creating a lock file (.ldb). The usual rule is that all users should have read/write permissions for the Access directory.

There is a very recent thread on this topic:

thread181-1392702

Thanks....

This happens when 2 XP users with write privs access the database... I also tried giving write privs on the folder to all authenticated users.. (no luck)...

This is not an Access issue, it is a Windows issue. You will find several Windows forums in Tek-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back