Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share DNS info With Another Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liaquat

Technical User
Dec 20, 2003
US

I have a Domain called A.Local with its own DNS (Win2003) and it has the database for all the clients names with thier IP addresses. There is also a separate domain B.Local with its OWN DNS. They both have forwarders enries to resolve the FQDN's that are outside the network.
Now my question is how can I have computers from Domain B.Local PING domain A.Local's machines with their IP addresses. We dont have a WINS server and I dont plan to use a Host file.(Too Many machines).

Thanks

Either do a zone transfer or a Stub zone

from
A stub zone is like a secondary zone in that it obtains its resource records from other name servers (one or more master name servers). A stub zone is also read-only like a secondary zone, so administrators can't manually add, remove, or modify resource records on it. But the differences end here, as stub zones are quite different from secondary zones in a couple of significant ways.

First, while secondary zones contain copies of all the resource records in the corresponding zone on the master name server, stub zones contain only three kinds of resource records:

A copy of the SOA record for the zone.
Copies of NS records for all name servers authoritative for the zone.
Copies of A records for all name servers authoritative for the zone.

That's it--no CNAME records, MX records, SRV records, or A records for other hosts in the zone. So while a secondary zone can be quite large for a big company's network, a stub zone is always very small, just a few records. This means replicating zone information from master to stub zone adds almost nil DNS traffic to your network as the records for name servers rarely change unless you decommission an old name server or deploy a new one. And to make replication even more efficient, stub zones don't use UDP as traditional DNS zone transfers do. Instead, stub zones use TCP, which supports much larger packet sizes than UDP. So while a typical zone transfer might involve many UDP packets flooding the network, stub zone transfer only involves a few packets at most. Also, while most DNS servers can be configured to prevent zone transfers to secondary zones from occurring, stub zones request only SOA, NS, and A records for name servers, all of which are provided without restriction by any name server since these records are essential for name resolution to function properly. Finally, since stub zones can be integrated within Active Directory (secondary zones can't), they can make use of Active Directory replication to propagate their information to all domain controllers on your network.

In our previous scenario, stub zones can be used instead of secondary zones to reduce the amount of zone transfer traffic over the WAN link connecting the two companies. To do this, the administrator for Company A would simply log on to one of the domain controllers, open the DNS console, and create a new stub zone that uses one or more of Company B's name servers as master name servers. By making this stub zone an Active Directory Integrated zone, the stub zone will then be automatically replicated to all other domain controllers on Company A's network. Now when a client on Company A's network wants to connect to a resource on Company B's network, the client issues a DNS query to the nearest Company A domain controller, which then forwards the query to one of Company B's name servers to resolve.

Thanks ! This Article is great help. The actual implementation might take a few days.
I'll let you know how it went but for now a lot of stuff is clear to me.

Regards,
Asghar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back