Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

csk003

Programmer
Feb 9, 2004
US
I have to develop an access database that the users in our organization need to enter and query. They could all be working on the application at the same time.

We have a network drive where this application can be placed. If I change the open mode to shared and select edited record for record level locking, would that be sufficient to share the database? Will there be problems when multiple users try to query or data enter?
Are there any elements that I need to be watchful for?

Have a look at splitting the database to front end and back end.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Consider using a front end/back end design strategy where the back end will have all your tables and the front end will have house the queries, reports, forms, code, etc. to run your application. You can link the "back-end" tables to the front end and will have less chance for data corruption, thus protecting against data loss and downtime. Corruption can still happen but this will reduce it considerably. I use this design strategy and highly recommend it. Search the forums here as well as your help files. Many of us have similar designed apps and have made posts here that may be of help to you.

Other users ahould not have access to designing queries and editing forms, they should be able to data enter tehrough forms already designed and query based on queries already designed. In that case would splitting actually help? or changing the tools->options to shared mode is fine.

Can the tools->options be specific to a file or does it affect all the files within the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back