Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

share a highspeed connection (and mabye setup simple network) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteusx

Programmer
Mar 21, 2005
US
I want to share my cable internet connection (ISP is roadrunner) between two computers (both running win2k), and if possible, set up a simple network between the two.

under the direction of a friend, i bought a simple linksys 5-port switch (model# ezxs55w), which should allow the sharing of the connection and mabye allow the two workstations to see each other, right?

however, one of the workstations sees a lan connection, but can't connect to anything at all through the switch (but no problems when directly hooked into the cable modem, so i know its the switch). the other computer has no problem with the switch though.

recently, a DIFFERENT friend told me he thought i needed a router, not a switch (told me this AFTER i'd bought the switch), but he wasn't sure. if that's the problem, i'm considering buying this router (and getting rid of my software firewall):

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for taking the time.

then any idea why one of the workstations cant connect through the switch? or how to fix it?

Many cable companys only expect one MAC address at the customer site. If you network with a router, they see that MAC address, when you network from just one PC, they see that PC's MAC address. With two PCs and a switch, they see both PC's MAC address, which may be a no no. My cable company has a (higher priced) option to have 3 devices (they call them CPE, Customer Provided Equipment) online at once, I did not see one for RoadRunner however.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

i contacted my isp and that's the problem, all right. so i do indeed need a router rather than a switch. thanks for the help, guys. i really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back