Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shadow Copy Components error

Status
Not open for further replies.

godowd

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
IE
Hi all,

Every job fails with the following error, any help would be appreciated. veritas 9.1

Thanks
George

Backup - \\DUSMEM01OFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
OFO: Snapshot error (0xfffffec9): A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

Backup - \\DUSPRI01\Shadow?Copy?Components \\DUSPRI01\Shadow?Copy?ComponentsA failure occurred querying the Writer status.

A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

(DUSPRI01 remote server)

godowd

a few things to check for..

on the server, cmd prompt type in vssadmin list writers - this will give you a listing of all the writers on the server, they all need to be stable - if they aren't, usually a reboot fixes it - if after you reboot, the issue is still there, you will need to contact MS regarding it.

also, make sure you are only backing up the System State, maybe also service state, but not really needed, everything else can be unchecked.

Justin thanks for that.

I done a VSSADMIN on the machine in question (remote) and all were status ok except 1, was in a "waiting to finish" state. Will reboot out of hours and see how it goes.
Anyone else come across this ? Wonder if it keeps happening.

Thanks
George

HI.

I'm experiencing the same problem from time to time - about once or twice a week:

Backup - Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?ComponentsA failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata

More info about the server:
Penitum III 933mhz, 1GB Ram, Intel server board.
6 SCSI disks configured with MS Windows software Mirror
(3 * Mirror volumes for System, Data Files, Exchange data).
Windows server 2003, Active Directory DC (single dc).
Exchange 2003 SP1
Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 buile 4691 with SP1.
Symantec Anti Virus CE 9.0

The primary backup device is:
Maxtor OneTouch external USB 2 hard disk, used for daily full backups (about 80GB).
I also have a Sony AIT Tape on the same server for weekly backups.
The problem is not related to a specific device as far as I can tell.

I'm backing up the following:
Files stored on the server.
Exchange (Information Store + Brick Level), about 15gb each.
Shadow copy = System State (only).

Please share your experience as well.

My guess is that Win2003 SP1 will do the change when released, but this is only a guess.

Yizhar

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back