Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SHA2 and Mastercard Unique Terminal ID Mandate

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlohaRoss

IS-IT--Management
May 8, 2009
TH
I have been getting a bunch of questions about SHA2 along with an assorted amount of answers about it.

I found this for SHA-2
Which would have you believe XP with sp3 and IE8 will still work for users.
NCR has been telling its clients XP will not work

What is the minimum Operating system on the Computer running the Aloha EDC Credit card software? Will XP work or does it have to be Win7. Same for Server 2003 and 2008.
For Aloha EDC what is the minimum version. Some say 7.X, others are saying 12.X or 14.X

Here are the firm dates I am hearing from processors that this must be fixed/patched
Dec 28 for users on FirstData
Jan 17 2017 for users on TYSY

Lastly does anyone have information this
MASTERCARD UNIQUE TERMINAL ID MANDATE

Effective January 1, 2017, merchants who do not adhere to the MasterCard Unique Terminal ID mandate which requires unique terminal identifiers for each independent card reading device in a single location, will fall into a status of noncompliance with MasterCard. For each transaction that violates this mandate, you may be assessed a fine by MasterCard.

All merchants with multiple card-reading devices, such as PIN pads, connected to a single host terminal are required to have each of their devices identifiable with a unique Device ID number to remain compliant and avoid fines from MasterCard.

The Fines are steep
Up to $2,500 per occurrence for the first 30 days
Up to $5,000 per occurrence for days 31-60
Up to $10,000 per occurrence for days 61-90
Up to $20,000 per occurrence for subsequent violations

I have not seen a var sheet with unique IDs for each of the Front of House terminals. I have seen in the newer EDC where you can add additional terminal IDs for each FOH term.
I support Aloha and have been upgrading people to ver 12.3.

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.

Series-of-Tubes,

This is what I get:
UPGRADE INVESTMENT IN Aloha POS
(1) Software Upgrade
(2) Ram and Udoc Upgrades for 2-1515 terminals
(1) Labor to Install
Total Cost: $3,385.00
(Discount of $200 Reflected in Above Price)

Sounds like they want to take you from XP to Win 7 and you need a larger HD and more RAM for the terminals to take the upgrade. What POS and EDC version are you on? Personally, I would not put $3.5K into 1515s.

Let me add what I have tested so far with older Aloha versions
using Aloha 6.1 with EDC 14.1.21
I created a new tender called Mastercard#2
left in nondescript as what type of card
did not have it verify any numbers from card used the MasterCard testing numbers found on the web 2223000010476528 and 2223000010476510 exp 0317 amount $1.00
card was declined with same error as when using 4444 3333 2222 1111. Was using CES. Service not allowed
I then put system in spooling, ran a card
Compared the SPL file with similar spl from from Aloha 12.3. Same information in both.
I am starting to believe if you just have EDC upgraded you will be able to take the new cards.
I have my heartland, vantiv, and firstdata reps getting back to me on Monday with working test card numbers for each of them. If they all go through there should be no reason for the expensive upgrades people are looking at. Just a small edc upgrade and tender change.

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.
PM me on Reddit

Gunderburger..
It's difficult if not impossible to evaluate whether or not to invest $3,500 into the model 1515 terminals unless gunderburger gets the upgrade cost broken out into; OS software, Aloha software, actual hardware and labor. IMO when you bundle prices it's because you don't want the end-user to actually see what they are paying for. If it turns out that buying new POS terminals makes more sense, the old 1515's may be attractive ($600-$800) to Aloha sites that do not process credit cards via the POS system as the OS won't matter to them (XP is fine), those (Non credit card) sites may also just desire backup POS terminals.

AlohaRoss - MasterCard will send you test cards (that begin with a #2) if you request them. I find carrying the test cards useful so I can demonstrate to non BIN believers what will happen if they ignore the notices that processors are sending out re: MasterCards BIN #'s

I'm not sure off the top of my head what the required specs are for POS 6.7.70...but getting from 6.7.67 to 6.7.70 shouldn't be a problem. If you are paying for software maintenance then your reseller should be able to push the update if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back