Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SGI replacement disk fails to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnixon

Technical User
Dec 10, 2002
There was a 2Gb disk in each of the upper and lower positions in an Indigo2 system. I have replaced both with a single disk, ready built, but although this apparently worked in another Indigo2 system my SGI system does not boot.
I get different messages determined by which location this disk occupies.
Upper position: Unable to load bootfile: no such device
Lower position: Exception messages, including bad address: 0x8, followed by hex messages and others, terminating in a PANIC: unexpected exception message

Can anyone give me an indication of why this may be happening with an apparently working disk.
ie. is it an incorrect address, and if it is, where is the address (ie. jumpers) on the disk and what is the settings.

If the other system that the disk was built on has a different CPU or Graphics card, that would cause this problem. The way to fix this would be to reload the disk in the Indigo2 where you want it to live.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back