Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sftp lock down users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkviswanadh

Technical User
Sep 11, 2008
US
Hi friends when any user using sftp, the system has to lock them to their own home directories and he is not able to see other users'directories. I am trying this in solaris 9.

Can any body help me out how to do this??

Thanks!
Viswanadh

You can accomplish that with file/directory permissions and/or groups

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Hi thanks a lot for your reply.
I have been searching in the net , there are couple of open stuff available, like "scponly", "rssh" etc. Do you think are these are require for my work.

for scponly :

and for rssh :

Please suggest me , do I need to go for these or the solution which you provided (You can accomplish that with file/directory permissions and/or groups) is enough.

Thanks a lot
viswanadh

I have use scponly with some success. I used it for company to company transfer, and the best way to segregate the accounts and the best security was to chroot, not depend on file/directory permission.

It was easy to setup and for my case, modify the code to suit my purpose.

Hello friends , please let me know how to do that using file/directory permissions and/or groups.

What version of ssh are you running?

If it's OpenSSH greater than 4.9p1, then it is really simple to put specific users in a chroot jail.

Changes to your sshd config-
Change the sftp subsystem to be this:
Code:
Subsystem     sftp   internal-sftp
Put something like this at the end:
Code:
Match Group sftp
    ChrootDirectory %h
    ForceCommand internal-sftp
    AllowTcpForwarding no

You also need to put the users affected in the sftp group and change folder owner to root.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=229

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back