Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sfc issues in windows xp mce 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

epod69

Programmer
Feb 11, 2005
US
Hey Everyone,
I am having some issues trying to get sfc to work in windows xp media center edition 2005. The issue is that it will ask right at the end for the XP Pro CD2 disk. I have came across a site saying to change the registry to the c: drive and to just copy the i386 folder from the cd to the system drive root. I still can't get sfc to go through all the way without asking for the CD2. I have already tried placing the second xp mce cd in but it says I inserted the wrong cd and to find xp pro CD2. The site also explains I can try changing a reg entry to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles to pick up the i386 directory from that folder. Although, that folder doesn't exist and I am wondering if this is an issue as well.

Anyways, I am hoping someone else has had this issue in the past with XP MCE because I have never had this issue with Home or Pro edition. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks all for the help!
Jesse

What I suspect you may be seeing is perhaps something like this, but I'm not sure?

"This issue occurs when the following .inf files contain an incorrect source media description: • Fp40ext.inf
• Ims.inf "

You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition

Prompted for CD-ROM When You Run System File Checker
While Correct CD-ROM Is in Drive

Thx for your experience and for trying to help !

i followed the instructions from Jujet84's link, but still get the insistent message that i need to put in my XP Pro CD.
The message is
"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache
Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now"
... which i obviously have done ...

i'm not using Home edition and am not seeing problems with the .inf files, so they don't need to be corrected.

Too bad the file
Prompted for CD-ROM When You Run System File Checker
While Correct CD-ROM Is in Drive
is for Windows 2000 Server, because that would have been perfect.

the reference "You are prompted to insert a Windows XP SP2 CD when you try to run the System File Checker tool on a Windows XP SP2-based computer"
directs me to
ServicePackSourcePath, click Modify, type %windir%\ServicePackFiles, and then click OK."
but i don't have a reg entry for ServicePackSourcePath anywhere in the reg.

so i want to add that, but i don't know if it's a D-word or a string or what ... so i'm waiting to see if you folks can help with that question. Then we'll see if that solves it.

would love to get some more help with this - thx !

Mikl

A bird in the hand makes typing difficult.

whups - enetered this in the wrong thread ... had too much going on, really sorry !!!!!

Mikl

A bird in the hand makes typing difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back