Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Several problems with 7.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

esmithbda

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2003
US
We are running NAV Corp 7.6 here on Win2k servers and WinXP Pro client machines.

I have a few problems with it that I was hoping someone can help me with:

1) I have gone in through the management console and added all of the workstations, and watched the progress bar fill out and say that it has finished loading to them all.
There are two user machines that were on that list, it said that they got it, but then they never show up on the list of machines.
I thought it was perhaps that they needed the updated files for XP, so I downloaded that installer and extracted it on my machine, looked up which files they were and then also deployed them out to all of the client machines via network shares (\\userMachine\c$ etc).
Still no luck.

2) I have 3 users that show up as having viruses every day in the console. I go in and view their log and it is reporting on something from days previous to this one. I then clear their virus status and then the next day the same 3 users have the virus alert in the console again.
I have gone into their machines over the network and looked in the directories specified and the files just aren't there - so it is triggering on non-existant files.

On problem 1.) I guess you used the NT install tool and remotely pushed to your clients. I have done that on hundreds of cleints and occasionally the same thing happens to me. What happens is the files get copied however the executable never kicks off and installs NAV. Have you phyiscally check these clients to see if this could be the cause.

2.) Clean out the clients quarantine folder. Realtime is picking this up each time it scans and will report them in their original location.

Hope this helps glacierxx

Yes, I was using the NT push. If it is the case that it has pushed the file out and just not run it - where can I find it on their machine and run it? Can this be done remotely?

In regards to the second one, when I hilight files it lists and if I choose "clean" or "delete", then it will throw up an error saying something to the effect that it can't get to the files or that the machine isn't turned on (which I know for a fact that the machines are on since I can ping them).

In regards to problem #2, when I was using 7.6, I had to also go to each infected client pc and delete the files there or Norton would still find it on the pc when doing a scan and say there was still a virus.

I upgraded to NAV Corp 8.1 and set up Central Quarantine which allows all viruses to go there and they can be deleted from there without going to each client pc.

We have the Central Quarrentine setup, but apparently they aren't using them.

The log on their messages say that the virus is at... and then gives the path to them.

I can open up an administrator share to them and browse their hard drive and delte those files... if they were there.
There aren't any files there though - yet it seems to think that there are.

I can easily just uncheck them as having viruses every day - but it is frustrating to see the flag everyday and then look into it and see that they aren't really having the problem.

Sounds like we need to upgrade. That isn't likely to happen - I have zero budget to do anything at all until we have an actual emergency that has already happened - and then I get lectured for not having the proper things in place in the first place.
Love it.

Maybe I can stage an "emergency" where they think it is something bad, we get better hardware/software, and then nothing bad actually happens.
This is so stupid to have to think this way.

For the quarantine folder on the client navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition \7.5\Quarantine.

Look in the Quarantine folder for the virus that keeps bugging you or any viri and delete them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back