Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Several Newbie Questions on HP 712/60 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iENZ

Technical User
Jul 13, 2002
DE
Hi Folks,

I'm a ABSOLUTE NEWBIE to this whole HP thing and quite new to 'normal' Linux either... So I do have several questions since I want to install the new Debian Linux on my 712/60. At the moment it is running HP UX 10.20 or something.
My main Problem now ist the built-in LAN interface, it's not working.
[ul]
[li]The machine has a second Network-Adapter(Token Ring). How do I disable it, or should I better remove it enirely?[/li]
[li]How Do I set up my LAN Device correclty (I have found the SAM, but do not really know what to edit...) My Network at home is behind a SMC-Router which is running DHCP[/li][/ul]
By now I have come as far as the system booting correctly (no warnings when setting up the devices) but the system states I should check my cable for a connection problem.
On the Hub there is also no light on signalling that there is a connection to the Workstation, so maybe the built-in LAN-Device is defect?

And now to something completely different:
I cold maybe speed things up by using a Debian Bootdisk, but the machine has no Floppy. Can I connect any floppy drive to the bus? If yes, how do I boot from floppy??

A whole lot of questions, I'd be happy if only a few would be answered!

Thanks in Advance,

Jens

I have never install linux on 712.
You can install hpux and can do more then what you want to do from linux.

Patel

Is there a linux port to the PA-RISC processor? I didn't think that anyone has done that yet. You should wait up on installing it until you verify that point. I think that you will find hpux is unix like linux is unix and hpux has some nice features that you may enjoy.

L

Jens,

The machine has a second Network-Adapter(Token Ring). How do I disable it, or should I better remove it enirely?

HP 712 uses EISA hardware. Use eisa_config to disable/remove the interface from the system. This has to be done prior to physically removing the card from the system. By the way how do you know the interface is not being used - one way is there is no lan cable so it is not being used. Better method is to use the command lanscan. Lanscan has to be used alongwith ioscan to make sense out of the device hardware paths.

How Do I set up my LAN Device correclty (I have found the SAM, but do not really know what to edit...) My Network at home is behind a SMC-Router which is running DHCP

Again use ioscan to make sure that the NIC is being recognised by the system. Then you may either edit the file /etc/rc.config.d/netconf to add the appropriate IP address, subnet mask, gateway etc.. or you may use SAM -> Networking and COmmunications -> Network Interface Cards to add your ip address and other parameters.

eisa_config is a menu driven utility.
lanscan can be run with no options.
ioscan has options based on OS release and if I remember correctly ioscan -f should work for you (-f give full device file listing).

Hope this helps.

Radha

Hi Folks!

Thanks for the help, but by now it's obsolete...
After this post I'm gonna start a new Threat with a different question. The answers you gave me were verey helpful though.
I now have found that Debian with it's current version 3.0 allows HPPA Processors for their Linux.

Again: Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back