Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

several cisco catalyst 2948g switch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesperLots

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2003
DE
I want to supervise ports errors on several switches.
Can you tell me if there is a command or a program that shows the evolution of the numbers of ports errors of many switches (for example, asks every minute the error rate).
If not can you help me programing this???

Thank you

If you have several catalyst 2900 assuming they are all together (no matter the vlans) then you could make a cluster with them and that way, by entering via http to the main cluster switch you could have the control of the whole cluster with statistical information of errors and so on. If you need more advice on clustering please let me know.

The 5500 Lover
CCNA, MCP

hi The5500Lover, can you give me more information on clustering.

thanx for your advice

SeB

The 2948G runs CatOS and does not support clustering. :-(

Cheers *Rob

P.S.: Sorry, I don't have an answer for your original question.

You could have the switches dump their logs to a syslog server. Then just cruise through the logfiles and see if their are ports displaying errors. If an interface goes up or down it will also log that.

Jasper you can also use SNMP to poll the port/interfaces of hte switches at any interval that you want.

Thank you congogrey,
i realized too that it was the best solution
I'm working on a winNT4 server , and i want to use java management extension: JMX for polling the snmp agents on the switches
Can you help me if you have more information about this..
thank you again

j.

Are you asking for help on setting up SNMP on the switches? OR the Java Extensions because, i do not know anything about the Java Extensions. Depending on how much you want to do you could configure MRTG (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back