Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup VPN Host using VPN Router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBJCS

Technical User
May 11, 2004
US
I would like to connect one remote user to a W2k Desktop via a VPN connection in order to map a drive letter.
Since W2k does not support "host" VPN Connection possibilites is there a router that can act as the "host" to my remote VPN connection so that I may map the drive letter to the W2k PC on the other side of the router?
The remote pc is a WinXP Home Pc using PPTP.(I would like to use IPsec to connect IF I can configure the WinXP pc to use that protocol since I understand the performance is better thatn PPTP)
Thanks

I have recently done this with our router and workstations here at the office. I am using a Netopia Netgear R9100. It's easy to setup and so far has been working flawlessly as a VPN host. The user I believe is using XP (not sure what version) to connect to the VPN. She has no problem mapping drives, or accessing desktops as long as there's a share. I've even installed VNC on both her workstation at the office and she has installed a client at home and is able to access her PC from home.

Netopia has a number of articles to do this right on there website and they work perfectly. I hope this helps you.

There are lots of inexpensive routers that do this.

IPsec is a bear to configure in Windows, so lots of people use SSH Sentinel (or the less expensive NetGear) VPN client.

Thanks Jim,
I will be attempting the above scenario with the newer Direcway DW6000 Internet system.....Mapping drives and accessing "data" via shared drives should be "faster" since my upload with Direcway ranges from 35-75kb's only.I did try using a program called Radmin which worked fine except that sending then entire desktop possed a speed problem.
Again thanks for the information.

I hope that someone here can tell me how to access an unattended direcway professional (static ip)from a remote computer. I cannot ping the modem until outgoing transmissions are initiated from the direcway computer.

This means that I can't use pcAnywhere to download files from the computer, nor can I set up a camera on the direcway system that can be viewed remotely.

Direcway tech support (supervisor at level 2) tells me that although you have a static address, direcway recaptures your bandwidth for use by others after a period of disuse. When a transmission is initiated from the Direcway computer, bandwidth is again allocated and you can ping into the modem. I have a 4000 series modem. Has anyone out there figured out how to communicate remotely to an unattended direcway computer?

I have been using the DW6000 (Pro) w/static IP and while I was unable to utilize my routers built in VPN Hosting capabilities due to the DW6000's built in unchangable features (NAT being the biggest obsticle)I have been able to use PC Anywhere successfully (very slowely).
I have yet to experience the need for the Host PC with static IP to first "initiate" transmission-I do know that Direcway utilizes the bandwidth that you pay for as they please (read their "fair use Policy").
Have you tried setting your email program to check for mail every 10 minutes,keep a small program running which might look for or ping other websites,etc.??
I never have recommended Direcway services but I come up against situations where it is our only option.
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back