Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup VPN for FVS318V3 with WAN port on a privet ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolseley

Technical User
Sep 26, 2007
AU
Hi

Internet WAN port for Netgear VPN Firewall FVS318V3 is connected to LAN port for Netgear Wireless cable Modem CG814WG.

LAN IP address for Netgear Wireless cable Modem CG814WG is static address 10.10.0.1/24,,,and WAN ip address is dynamic by ISP.

and DHCP is on for the range 10.10.0.30 to 10.10.0.150,,,,,,,,

Internet port (not LAN ports) IP address for Netgear VPN Firewall FVS318V3 is static address :
10.10.0.20/24
Obviously gateway would be 10.10.0.1

LAN IP address for Netgear VPN Firewall FVS318V3 is 192.168.0.1/24

And DHCP is on for the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.150

I have got no problem to surfing the net (i.e scenario above is working without any problem), but I am planning to setup a VPN ,,,,,

Which public ip address should I use if want to setup the VPN ?

If I use the dynamic WAN ip address (or DyDNS.com) for the Netgear Wireless cable Modem CG814WG, do I need to NAT that to the 10.10.0.20/24 ? ?

Thanks

Well to set a VPN works best if you have a static ip but my question is why do you want a VPN?

I think we are in the same boat. I posted a thread right after you. I found out DynDNS doesn't work, because it will update DynDNS with it's private IP address. You will want to use the public IP of the CG814WG, and forward VPN traffic (TCP & UDP 1723) to 10.10.0.20.

This is what I *thought* needed to be done, but I am having the same problem -- how to create a VPN tunnel from a PUBLIC (internet) router to a PRIVATE (LAN) router.

I have never been able to get DYDNS to work as well. If you explain what you are trying to do then there might be another way.

If you explain what you are trying to do then there might be another way.
I have been for a while not using VPN technology, therefore I would have though it would a good idea to practice that and learn how to deal with different products and vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back