Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup VOIP Phone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

undertaker48

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
US
We are going to VOIP Telephones, and I'm taking a VOIP course to understand the technology, but it hasn't walked me through, on how to set up a VOIP Phone, I found a web site that showed how to set up a VIOP phone step by step, but I can not locate it anymore, hopefully one of you can help me out, we are using cisco to operate our IP Phones, I have a Nortel Meridian 1 61C PBX and it is linked to the cisco, so staff on grounds that have IP Phones can receive there incoming calls and call out. I have a Nortel m3904 and IP Phone on my desk, it was programmed by the contractor that installed it, I would like to get a head start on how to set up a VOIP Phone.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your Help Is Greatly Appreciated.
Thank You
Undertaker48

There are a couple things they we need to know to better point you in the right direction. What version of cisco callmanager are you running and which model phones are you using. The major difference between versions is the way the interface works. Here is a link which contains guides for the different callmanager versions.

The best help i have found in the past was a book by cisco press (configuring callmanager and unity). This book has step by step directions with pictures of the callmanger screens.

To get you started you would need to open the callmangers web page and login. Then go to device and choose phone. Do a search with the fields left blank. This should list the phones in the system. Take a look at an existing one for reference. On that same page you should see an option for ADD. The main things you would need to configure on a phone would be the mac adddress, description of the phone on the first page (you could put in the calling search space but i always put it under the DN (this controls the calling ability). Once you put this information in click insert.
Once you insert the phone the next step would be to add a DN (on the phone page you should see a couple of lines now in the left top corner). Enter in the DN you would like to use for this phone. Then you will need to put it in a partion, next choose the calling search space. A bit lower on the page you will see an option for voicemail. Most systems are step with the option for "use system default" and you can choose that. In this same area you will see the call forward options. Towards the bottom of the page is where you will enter the line description (which is what appears on the phone), and below that you can enter in what you want others to see when you call (persons name or department), and last the caller id. Once you have entered this information just click save and reset the phone for the changes to be applied. Their really isn't too much to setting up an ip phone for basic functions. Just use an existing phone for refernece and you will be fine.

Thanks,
Jm9776

Thanks Jim9776 you have been very helpful, I'll check for the verison of the Cisco Call Manager and what model Cisco IP Phones we are using and get back with you. Thanks Again.

Thank You
Undertaker48

Jim9776, our Cisco Call Manager is version 4.3 and the phone is a Cisco IP Phone 7911, Please point me in the right direction, Thanks

Thank You
Undertaker48

Undertaker48,

Here is a guide for the administration portion of the callmanger. It is for a different relase but will work for you. Let me look around and see what i can find for phone setup. Here is the book that you should look into getting which will help guide you with configurations.

ISBN-10: 1587051966
ISBN-13: 978-1587051968

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back