Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setup passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaldean

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
US
I think I posted to a wrong forum before. This one comes closest, I believe.
Problem: screen before windows setup is a password screen. Went into setup and changed the password and now it accepts both. How do I remedy this so only one is accepted? Dell Optiplex GX150 with MS Win98.

Perhaps this will do until someone that <u>knows</u> the answer will answer.

I think...
==
Win 98 keeps that infor in PWL files in Windows.

If you delete all the PWL files yoyu have removed all users.

Add the user you want.

==

I have a win 98 test setup so let me know offline if that does not work j@roninsg.vom

J

I think that chaldean is referring to a BIOS password. I know that my Dell Inspiron allows for 2 passwords. 1 is the Primary password, and the other is the Admin password. As I recall, the primary password can be used for booting and modifying BIOS. The admin password only allows access for booting.

What would probably help is if you would tell us what version and manufacturer's BIOS you have. Also, check to see if there are 2 BIOS passwords. If 1 is not disabled, then you should be able to boot with either password.

pansophic

jnicks and pansophic...my abject apologies for getting back late. Hectic week so far.

I had already deleted the windows *.pwl file. I think it may be a bios password as suggested.

It's a Dell optiplex, which simply says, &quot;bios version AO1&quot;.

How do I determine if there is one or two passwords?

When I go into setup I have to put in a password separate from the first screen.

thanks...

chaldean,

Is the password that you use for setup also the other password that lets you boot?

If so, it is as I described, a Primary and an Admin password.

What you want to do now, is go into BIOS and find where you added the second password. On mine, you press Alt-p to move between pages, and you want to get to the one that has Primary password: ******** followed by Admin password: ********. You should delete the Admin password and change the Primary password to the one that you wish to use.

If your BIOS has a menu at the top, use the right arrow to navigate over to the Security page.

pansophic

Pansophic...
OK. One was setup, one was system.

I could not do what you suggested as the instructions would not work. Only way to delete would be to leave password blank if it would take it.

What I did was to go to the security, unlock the passwords, and make both the same password--one I feel secure with since it is all over the board.

Did not find the &quot;primary&quot; and secondary. You may have a more sophisticated machine than I.

If you have anything else am more than willing to listen!

If that resolved your problem, then it's all good.

I was afraid that your BIOS would use different terms for the passwords. Every one is different, even from the same manufacturer sometimes.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back