Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup Officeconnect 531s with NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

sti

Technical User
Sep 29, 2002
DE
I'm trying to setup an Officeconnect 531s for an internet connection via ISDN. It dials, logs into the ISP and even resolves domain names, but I cannot access hosts on the internet, not even ping them.
The local network is 192.168.67.0/8 and the router is 192.168.67.1.
NAT is currently enabled using the above network...
Either I'm missing something or it's a bug, btw. firmware is 6.03.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Stefan

I have to correct myself. Just took a look into the trace and discovered it cannot handle the ping but http and others work correctly.
So now the question is what protocols are supported by the officeconnect's NAT and what could I do to get ping and others (ftp might have a problem?) to work anyways.

Thanks,
Stefan

As I remember the Manual on the 530s (so I assume the 531s is similar) states specifically that when you turn on NAT the Office connect no longer supports ICMP traffic. I have been confused in exactly the same way!

FTP, WEB, Mail etc have all worked fine.

Peter, I too am having similar problems with a OC 531s, problem is I cannot find ANY setup documentation on this model anywhere! including 3com website.
Can you give me a pointer?

Thanks,

Blogg

1. Setup NAT
CO NA
NAT enabled
Trans own addr enabled
NAT IP Address = INTERFACE
NAT Masq net = local net addr yours = 192.168.67.0
NAt Masq mask = 255.255.255.0
2. Enable DNS Proxy (so DNS requests sent through to ISP)
CO DN PR
and set first field to Enabled
3. Set up ISDN call table
CO IS NU
add your ISP as a number (all IP's on page 0.0.0.0 and typically rem unit Default PPP auth PAP - call route e.g ISP
4. Set to autodial your ISP by
CO IS AUTO IP
id addr 0.0.0.0
mask 0.0.0.0
Remote Unit = ISP
other setting as you like
5. Set PAP user pass in CO AUTH PPP
local ID = user id to log into net with Local PW = password auth type = PAP ... remote user/pass not wanted so set to something real obscure (don't want others coming in ...)
(if you need chap or chap / pap add similar line for this)
6. Add to IP routing table
CO RO IP
target 0.0.0.0
subnet mask 0.0.0.0
Router: ISP
Hops - 16 will do
Advertise route - I usually have disabled
Permanent = Enabled

On PC best for small net is to go for a static IP address so set to say IP 192.168.67.10 mask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.67.1 (i.e. your router)

rest should now work fine

Don't forget to type Save and Enter to save it all!

Use CO RO IPF to add firewall options (can stop various ports etc)
Use CO PA to go to "Port Address Translation" - this allows you to e.g. pass FTP requests through to a particular achine - that is why static routes are best for this sort of setup - and contary to earlier posts if you map ICMP ports to a particular machine then pings will work - but most of the net doesn't answer pings now anyway to keep the port scanners away

Looking on how to reset a 3com 531s back to factory defaults. Can anyone help?

Mike

there should be a tiny hole with a button in it at the rear - just small enough to press with a pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back