Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup nt workstation fom w2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianal

Instructor
Mar 7, 2001
BG
Hello all,
Sitiation is the following:
I have set up an W2K advanced server as PDC.
I also have 12 machines with NT workstation on them.
Unfortunately only one of th eworkstations has CD-ROM.
On one of the others (CD-ROM-less) something went wrong and I need to reinstal the software.
Is there a way to do that using a share on W2K?
How to set up an nt workstation only with floppy?
(I have tried a Northon Ghost image, but it comes to 75-90% and stop.)
Thank you in advance,
Diana

what do you wnat to install Win NT workstation or windows 2000? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

You can install W2K from a network if needed. I don't have the specifics in front of me, but I know it can be done if all pc's are on network. I have only heard of this with clean installs, not upgrades. Don't know if upgrades can be done over network. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection
of facts is not more a science than a heap of stones is a home".
Henri Poincare (1854 - 1912) French mathematician

On small pc - win nt workstation has to be installed.
If it is possible only W2k professional to be installed, I have to buy new licences, but I'll persuade my boss.
Thank you.

You may just find it much easier to pull the hard drive from the 'down' machine and install it to the one with the CDRom and install from there. Make sure you copy the I386 folder to the hard disk drive (that way, you will have all of the drivers you need when you move the hard drive back). Network installs are fine only if you are doing a lot of machines at once but you would need a network boot disk to get the whole thing started. If it is just one machine, just pull the drive, re-install it to the box with the CDROM, run the install and move the drive back to where it came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back