Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbender77

MIS
Jun 4, 2007
US
OK, I've been pulling my hair out over here trying to figure out why I can't get these two phones to work. I find an open LEN, program it (just cmd 10, 11, 73 and 93) and punch down to where it's supposed to go and it won't work. I can tone from the room to the block just fine so I know that connection is good. I check my punchdowns and they're all OK also...still nothing. The next thing I did was just punch to wires to the block leading to the LEN and crimp an RJ-12 on the other. Even that way wasn't working! I've been able to get that to work before. Then I figure that maybe the LEN is bad or something and try another one...NADA. Maybe that one was bad also I thought and try another one...still nothing. Now I'm at the point where I'm staring at the wall with a blank look on my face. Does any have any ideas as to why this isn't working for me?

There is some tules you have to follow when using 4 port cards in 8 port slots.

Most of the len numbers posted would not appear on a 4 port card Eg 144 is the 5th cct on the sixth slot second Pim
052 is the 5th cct on the seventh slot of pim 0 however 126 is the 3rd cct on the fourth slot of pim 1 so it is worrying that you didn't get anything there. Is that card the same?

the other possibility is that you have used all the time slots available. Check Cmd F70 de Len No de you should get 4 2 digit groupings. The first doesn't matter the second is the number of timeslots allocated to the len the third is the PCM highway number and the last is the timeslots within the highway. If you get none you have problems.

When I did the 3 LENS I assigned they all had the same first 3 sets of numbers (00 01 00). For the 4th set they differed but they all had a mix of numbers (090, 052, 108).

That sounds as though the time slots have been allocated correctly. The worry was that if you had used all the timeslots and then reset the system this port could be allocated a timeslot at the expense of another port. This often degenerates into a travelling fault which jumps from len to len with resets but the most akward one is where it gets left till a power outage forces a reset and suddenly phones stop working.

I would try Len 126 again but confirm the card type and the extension type as if you are trying to install an analogue and put an F in front of the number it wont work just as if you were installing a dterm and didn't put the F it also wouldn't work.

A majority of the LEN that you have provided are the 5th circuit of a slot. If you have 4 port cards (i.e. 4dlc) in LT04 to LT07 then the second 4 ports "shift" over to LT08 to LT11. This also means that if your connection blocks are linearly marked then the ports for those cards that have shifted WILL NOT be where you think they are. Any cards in LT07 to LT11 are going to be on the 4th 25 pair connection block.

I have left my phone number on earlier posts if you want help. I think we can resolve this together.

rbender77

Reading through the posts again you say that when you programme the len the led continues to flash. This means you are either programming the wrong type to the len or you have counted the len numbers wrong. the thought that springs to mind is (as you have 4 port cards) is this an upgraded IVS. If it is the lens count considerably differently. I think the easiest way to determine that is two questions. How many digits in a len Number 3 or 4 and on which side of the system is the power supply, left or right?

Easier still take grh959 up on the offer of phone help.

Facing the PBX it looks like the power is on the right side.

If the power supply is on the right and you are using 3 digit LEn numbers then this must be a IVS to IVS2 retrofit. Just to vereify, what type of CPU (circuit card on far right of bottom pim)do you have? Is it a CP-00, CP03, Cp16 or Cp17?

I have also seen vendors mistakenly ship Dterm Elite phone for a dterm E set, they look exactly alike, what is the model number on the bottom of the phone? Is it a DTP (Series E) or a DTU (Elite)

GRH959

I don't think it's a phone problem as the LED is still flashing after it has been programmed and the phone type wouldn't have an impact on that.

Mind you I've just had one of those DOH! moments!

rbender77 said [Q]I find an open LEN, program it (just cmd 10, 11, 73 and 93)[/Q]

A Dterm won't give dialtone without a line key for the Prime line! Cmd 9000.

What do you think?

Ozzie,

100% agree. I am assuming he is not getting any signal after reading his first post. If he is getting display (I hope it is a display phone) then this would very well be the culprit. However it does not solve the mystery of the LEN not going idle ( I hope he is counting in Japanese starting with zero!). This has been a fun one and I have docs to support him, I just wish he would call. It won't cost anything but the paltry sum of a LD call possibly!

What do you think? I would like to give it a couple more tries. If no resolve I would propose that he make sure that he has cleared programming on any of the LEN that have not worked, back up the PBX and reset to see if there is a time slot issue. This has worked for me in the past.

Could it be somehow a double assignment of the number for x1332? Could the number for the Port 1 modem for remote access be 1332? If so he may be double assigning this extension. So many possibilities!

The danger with a reset would be the possibility of loss of a timeslot elsewhere if it is a timeslot problem. I don't think it is though as the results of the F70 sound as though the timeslots are correct. As the saying down here goes.... I would put my leftie on it being either a counting issue or a type mismatch. It is of course only a saying!!!!

The system would not allow a double assignment (try it). Most people who post in thes forums are very wary of contacting the people offering help. I don't know why as we are freely trying to assist. I mainly do it to make the product more attractive to the potential user and hopefully that will keep me in a job longer.

Perhaps if he could tell us which pim he has the spare len in, the slot number, the circuit on the card (Remember the first in each of these is Zero), what type of card is in the slot and what he is trying to assign to the len. Then we can work out if all is correct.

By the way my appologies if the assumption of "he" is incorrect.

Sorry guys, it's been rather hectic at work since last week was the first week of school where I work. My computer duties have been keeping me rather busy. When I get back over to the problem campus I'll answer the questions that were asked.

Whomever labeled the blocks must've been high. The reason the LENS I was programming would work once punched down was because I wasn't punching down on the right block. Everything is mislabeled. 126 was labeled at 77. I'm going to have to redo all of that...

Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back