Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup hardware advice needed - 3 fastEth ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

stompin

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
GB
Ok I need to set up routing between 2 SN's inside with a third connection to our FW. We are running fast ethernet on all SN's. I am looking at a cisco router with 3 fast e0 ports - which cisco router do I need or would a L3 switch serve me better?? We have R&D plus software dpt on SN1 which throws out too many broadcasts (don't ask!!) affecting speed on rest of the network. Only a small business - 150 machines.

Setup as:
-- Switchs --- SN1
INTERNET --- DSL RTR --- FW --- RTR --|
-- Switchs --- SN2

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheer's

managed checkpoint FW - looking at the diagram it seems to have changed from my original. The FW needs to connect to the RTR/L3 SW which then connects to unmanaged switches on SN1 and SN2. FW - RTR?/L3SW? - SN1 and SN2

thanks

You could probably do this with a used Cisco 3620 with 2 NM-2FE2W modules. With these modules you will have 4 fast etherent ports and four slots for WIC cards. Plenty of room for future expansion. If you want new then you could probably do good with a Cisco 2811 and add a HWIC-4ESW.

Cheer's JOAMON I'll check them models out and see if they are suitable for the job.

Wow man thats an expensive route - any other ideas, day in the L3 switch world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back