Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup.exe doesn't run on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtqui

Programmer
Sep 25, 2000
SG
Hi,

I'm doing support for public in a company. I received a call from a user who said when he put in our CD which should auto-run, it doesn't do anything.

Advised him to do the following:
1) Double click on the setup.exe button.
Result: it doesn't run
2) Advised him to use "Run" and type in path to setup.exe
Result: doesn't run.
3) Check under "Task Manager"
Result: no trace of the setup though

There's no error messages.

Anyone came across this before?

Thanks for the suggestion. As I have no way of contacting that user again, I'm asking for future reference's sake.

Franklin97355, sending him a new CD might not work cos the same thing happened to him last year when he took our last year's CD.

Could this be his machine problem? But he said he can use other company's CDs with no problems.

It may have been a problem with his CD-ROM drive which was having problems with the brand, type or even color of your CD. A problem he may have to live with until he has a new CD-ROM drive.

If he could see the files on the CD, a copy to the hard drive, of the files, and running from there may have been an option.

Thanks, linney. That is something I haven't considered, but I'll keep this in mind if I encounter this again.

:)

Go in to your Task Manager and on the process tab find "Z..cfg" (Sorry I don't remember the real name) and click on end process. The setup.exe will then start to run if you already clicked on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back