Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup DC with web domain name. Now cant access web address

Status
Not open for further replies.

sab4you

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
My first attempt setting up a domain controller on a local network, lets say I called it ABC.com

Now, the problem is we have our website ABC.com hosted outside our network elsewhere.

So inside my network, when I attempt to hit it says page cannot be displayed. Outside the network, things work fine.

I manually added a DNS entry for goto the IP address of our website. The problem is, that the website IP address changes every so often, and it causes problem inside the local network.

I am sure there is a way to have a local domain, but have DNS not attempt to lookup the locally?

Sorry guys, always forget this part.

Its a single Windows 2000 server running Domain Controller, DNS and DHCP

With AD DNS using the same domain, there really isn't anything you can do.

Have you tried using the FQDN of the webserver hosting your site instead of the ip address?

As I understand it, the FQDN of his web server (located externally) and the FQDN of his domain are one and the same. The best you could do is create a different A record or CNAME that pointed to Do not create an A record or CNAME for the host 'www' though.

well, in the DNS I created one for www

I am new to this, how would I go about making a CNAME pointing to the external

Actually, I need to correct myself. If you are using ADI DNS or standard primary DNS, what I said above won't work. Sorry about that - a little tired tonight.

If you are the standard secondary and accept zone transfers from your ISP, you should be in business. If you are using one of the other configs mentioned above, your DNS server won't look beyond itself for an answer to that zone since you are authoritative.

Ultimately the best thing you can do is not use the same domain name (abc.com) internally if the hosts for it are being hosted elsewhere.

"Ultimately the best thing you can do is not use the same domain name (abc.com) internally if the hosts for it are being hosted elsewhere."

oops ;)

thanks for helping tho! Think I did pritty good setting it up for my first time, minus this little problem hee hee

I do have one question. Can you not use a Proxy or ISA Server to route the http requests to an external DNS server to resolve the issue?

I don't know much about ISA server, but I always thought in theory that this might work. Anybody here an ISA guru? Norman Moy
I hope I helped. :)

If the Proxy/ISA server resides on the same subnet as the workstation(s) trying to access the resource in the first place (as is the case above), then no. It would be same thing - only a different machine would be serving the information.

If you connected to a proxy at a different location - then yes it would work (why you would do that I don't know).

Hi I think i have the same proble i have setup dns and ad with the same domain names as the registered ie external abc.com and internal abc.com are the same.

can i chnage the internal name with ease. nb i have exchnage server 2000.

for future when you run dcpromo it asks for your regsitered domain name. seeing as i followed the wizard why did it ask me for my registered domain name and them use it for as the internal name, am i missing something.

how should i name my internal domain if i have a external domain name regsitered

thanks manish

Typically if you have domain name abc.com on the Internet, with W2K, you might use abc.local internally to distinguish it and avoid problems.

Your DNS domain name and W2K domain name are basically one and the same - creating a new domain name in DNS is easy, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Check out this article from MS on the issue:

I also did the DNS record pointing to the IP address of the external web server. Since our IP does not change externally, it worked fine for us. Norman Moy
I hope I helped. :)

Hi NtrOP

can you tell me why when you run dcpromo the wizard asks for you registered dns name which it then uses for the donmain.

just to clarify on my dns server
right click -> my computer -> computer name
my computer name is
"company-server"
full computer name is
"company-server.company.com"
our registered dns domain name is
"company.com"
is this the same situations as the one in this thread?

Nomarian can you tell me what details you have on your server ie like what i have described thanks.

hi guys
just to let you know

i added in dns two new domains " and "mail" both point to ans mail.company.com.

this seems to have sovled the problem.

any comments on what i have done or answers to why it works noe would be appreciated

Manish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back