Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup Crystal Report ActiveX in Visual studio .net??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngwaihung

Programmer
Nov 1, 2002
HK
I want to use ActiveX of Crystal Report in asp.net but haven't any idea.

What's the reason you want to use the ActiveX viewer in .NET app, is it client printing (in a web application)? If you don't want to print from the browser, then exporting to PDF can be a solution.

Hi LV!
Yes, it is client printing. And I know it can exporting to PDF to print. But I want directly print from the browser and not depend on any software in the client computer.
If you know how to used activex in .net app, please tell me.

Thank you

Well, the ActiveX viewer has to be installed on the client so you are still going to be dependent on it; a lot of computers though have Adobe installed on them so PDF export might work better. I haven't tried to wrap .NET codebehind around the Crystal ActiveX Viewer or CRAXDRT, sounds like pain. Much easier solution would probably be just to include all needed ASP pages (rptserver.asp, SmartViewerActiveX.asp, etc.) into your .NET app.

Thank you for LV help!

But I know somebody can set to the COM objects CRViewerLib and CRAXDRT on the Tab (Crystal Report Viewer Version 8.0 and Crystal Report 8 ActiveX Design Time Library).
Then we could add the ActiveX control to toolbox in the WebForm and dragged it into the webform design mode.

So I hope who know the method and coding could tell me.

Yes, it is possible, you can wrap around CRAXDRT. But then you'll need to rewrite rptserver.asp in C# or VB.NET, whichever language you use. This might be a little complicated though.

I will try to rewrite rptserver.asp in vb.net.
Would you tell me how to do?
Where I can found the COM objects insert into visual studio .net?

I haven't done it myself so can't really help you with rewriting, although one again, it sounds like a big pain. You can include references to the COM objects in .NET by right-clicking on "References" (under Project), Add Reference...COM tab. If client printing is the only reason you're going to do this... Maybe it's worth looking at exporting reports to PDF. Good luck anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back