Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup cannot copy files during a fresh install of XP. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick8078

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
I'm having a very annoying problem, I have a computer that started getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop error, after some extensive troubleshooting I decided to reformat, but I couldn't even get to the repair console with the original hard drive, so I tried a different one, which would act like it was going to format the drive, but never actually did anything and stayed at 0%. So I formatted a different hard drive in a computer identical to the one having the problems, then put the hard drive into the problem computer, but it would get a stop error again after a few minutes of booting up. Out of curiosity I tried to reformat the hard drive in the problem computer, but now I keep getting errors where setup can't copy certain files over. I've tried a different XP disk, and a different CD-ROM, and I've probably tried to reformat 4 different times, each time getting a different file that can't be copied, if anyone has some advice I would appreciate, and sorry this is so lengthy, but I wanted people to see the whole process up to this point.

What processor and how much RAM?

I have seen XP install fail (just "stop" copying files) on computers that were under-powered.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Hmmm.... that should be OK.

you could try:

o Copying the install dir off of the CDRom to an "install" folder on your hard drive, and doing the install from there.

If you're still getting the IRQ_LESS_THAN.... error, try taking out/disabling your sound card and your network card, and try installing.

If that cures the problem, make sure you have the *latest* drivers for both of those cards before re-installing them.

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Well, here's the problem, I can't get to the point of copying the disk to the hard drive, or disabling the sound card, b/c I'm doing a completly fresh install, originally I could not get the computer to boot at all, so I deleted the partition and started over, so I'm stuck at the point of trying to copy the setup files.

I'll give that a try and let you know what happens.

It does sound a bit like bad RAM, but for a full troubleshooting checklist have a look at these articles.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

...or disabling the sound card, b/c I'm doing a completly fresh install...

Disable. As in, if it's built-in, turn it off in the BIOS... if it's not built-in, pull it out.

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Not sure if this is stupid or not, but I never realized you could turn off a built in sound card from the BIOS.

Make sure the hard disk is on the primary IDE channel and that its jumpers are set to MASTER. I've had the same infuriating problem and it turned out that the problem was that the HD's jumpers were set to CABLE SELECT.

I also found that, once booted from a DOS floppy, copying the XP installation files from CD to HD was painfully slow and hung. The solution was to add (and run) SMARTDRV.EXE to the boot floppy.

Hope this helps...

It turned out to be the memory, the one stick of RAM is definetly causing the problems, I appreciate everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back