Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup a temp Exchange server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

msworld

MIS
Jun 28, 2005
US
We are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise on a Windows 2003 Enterprise. The server has a hardware issue. We need to shut it down and do repair. Can we setup a temp exchange server so that the users can access the email while we are working on the real Exchange server? If yes, how to do that or direct me to a link.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Hi Bob,
If I've got my head around your issue it would be a case of bringing a parallel Exchange server up into the organisation, migrate all mailboxes to that box plus a whole pile of other work, drop the live server, sort out the hardware and then do everything in reverse.

How much down time are you expecting?

Hi Zelandkh,

Thank you for the reply. It may take 2 t 3 hours. Can you give me details how to do that? Or a link?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Bob,
Setting up a swing server is going to take you the best part of 5 hours plus the time required to move the mailboxes to the new box. Sounds like scheduled and notified downtime of the box might be best - can you not do that?

Hi Msworld,

Zelandakh's plan was:
1. Install a second exchange server in your organization
2. move all users' mailbox to the second server
3. Shutdown the first server and repair it
4. When server1 is back up, move all user mailboxes back
5. Remove second server from the Org

During this process, the users may not be affected (they may need to change server name in outlook or you change your DNS record temporarily). But it takes 2-3 hours at least to set up...

Plus if server1 is the bridgehead you'll have no inbound or outbound emails during the repair time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back