Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup 3524's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandg

Technical User
Jun 7, 2002
US
Is it possible to set up a switch after it's already online? From what I can tell, it looks like the installers of yesteryear just left the 3524 boxes (5 total) set up mostly as default.

What I'm ineterested in doing however, is simply assigning each with an IP address so that I can access remotely. But of course I don't want to take anything down in the process.

Thanks.

If, as you say, the switches have been left at default, all ports will be assigned to vlan 1.

You can configure the switch from the CLI (Command Line Interface) to allow remote access as follows:

enable
conf t
int vlan 1
ip address a.b.c.d 255.255.255.0
exit
ip default-gateway w.x.y.z

where a.b.c.d is an unused IP on the management subnet available for the switch (I've assumed a Class C subnet, i.e. 255.255.255.0, so modify if necessary).

where w.x.y.z is the IP address of your onsite layer 3 (router) device

If vlan 1 is not in use, use the 'show vlan' command to determine what vlans are in use and which ports have been assigned. If you subsequently discover that your connection/port to the switch is via vlan 2 (for example), simply substitute vlan 2 for vlan 1 above.

Of course to do this you will have to plug in locally into the console port on each switch to do the config .

OK, I think I got it entered. However, when I try to access the switch over TCP/IP, I get the mesage "Password required, but none set". I presume that I'll need to set a password on the switch, correct?

Never mind- I stumbled my way through it - now I just have to make sure I didn't drop everyone :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back