Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting workstation time remotely 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperionsix

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2001
US
Can anyone provide me with the information necessary to change an NT desktops time remotely. I have several desktops that lose time and would like to administer this action remotely. Thanks, David

I am not sure how to set it remotely, but you can sync the workstation clock with an NT server clock if you want. Then, you just need to maintain the network clock. If this solution will suite your needs, let me know and I will dig out the info for you.

DSI
If you could provide me with the information that would be great. Thanks.

If you are using login scripts you can add the following line to force the clients to sync their clocks to the server.

NET TIME /SET /Y

If there is a particular server you would like them to sync with then you can use the following command

NET TIME \\SERVER /SET /Y
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

dxd,

We had to adjust the rights for the workstation before the script would work. As I recall, it was not an obvious procedure to change that privilege. I will dig out the info and post the solution.

To make sure the workstation has rights to change the clock:

Log on as administrator and start User Manager.
Go to Policies > User Rights and enable the clock permissions.

To sync the workstation clock with the network, use the NET TIME command, as explained above by dxd. You can also add that into a login script so that it is updated at each login.

Sorry for the delay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back