Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting virtual ips on a single network card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmsley

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
SG
Hi,

I have a question regarding virtual ips. I'm running Linux enterprise version and I need to set up 2 different virtual ips on my server, which has a ethernet card with 4 ports (eth0-eth3).

To make it clearer, my server has an ip address of 10.10.10.15. The 2 virtual ips that i need has to be of different subnets from the server ip. Which means I need a virtual ip like 10.20.30.40 and 50.60.70.80, or something like that. Is it possible to do it? I know its possible to create virtual ips of the same subnet on 1 port, but for different subnets, i am not sure.

Would appreciate any help on this issue. Thanks

sorry, if u have read my query, i am not asking abt ip-aliasing now.

When you set the "PC to the other network", are you actually changing Ethernet cables or just internal IP address?

Are you trying to make the Linux box a router?

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Can you tell me what the make and model of your NIC is and I'll read the manual for you. It would also help if you tell me a little bit about the topology of your network. I think I know what you are trying to do but I don't know what you are trying to do it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back