Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Windows 2000 Server With a router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atracy

Programmer
Sep 30, 2003
US
Hi! I have a small network of 3 computers, I currently have them connected to a netgear wireless router that acts as a DHCP server. I just installed w2k server and would like to use that as the dhcp. I figured that part out, great. However, now I can't browse the internet. I can ping the netgear router, so I know that they are talking. I'm missing some configuration step. How do I setup my W2k server so it points itself, and all other computers in the domain to the netgear router for the internet?

My network is simple, I have the cable modem plugged into the netgear router, then all 3 computers are plugged into the router.

Also, how do I rename my domain? Thanks!

Aaron

Ah, my gateway... can you step me through where to find my gateway.. I'm a newbie to this. Thanks!

Aaron

your gateway has to be the IP address of your netgear wireless router. also your ISP gave you 2 ip addresses of their DNS servers, that should also be values in your dhcp setup.

Clients should point to your server if your server is running DNS. If not your clients should point to your gateway (in your case your router). The router should have it's DNS settings from your ISP.

Your clients should be part of your domain for DHCP, and IP settings should be to obtain IP automatically.

The settings in your DHCP config should have the DNS details in there for your clients to use. (Either router or your server!)

Good luck,

Steve.

Alright, thanks for clueing me in on the gateway and DNS's. I got that up and running! I've successfully added one of my machines to the domain. Then I shut down the DNS service (Unauthorized it). The next night I Authorized it again and tried to add another computer to the domain. I got a message that stated something to the effect that the server didn't have the proper privledges to add the computer to the domain. (I used the administrator username and password). And what's strange, is that the computer added to the domain was the only computer that was issued an IP address. I couldn't get my other computers to obtain an IP address...I thought that IP addresses were given to computers whether they were or weren't part of the domain...

I also mistakenly named the domain the same name as my computer. As a result, my domain name is now Motherbrain0. I would like to call it (don't laugh) Starfleet. I've searched high and low and can't seem to find an easy way to rename my domain. Any help on both of these issues would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Aaron

you cannot rename a 2000 domain. this would require uninstalling active directory and then reinstalling.

you can create a new domain in the same forest, then migrate all the users and computers over to it

just an idea

try restarting the dhcp service. then, if the client machine is NOT setup with static ip info, it should accept the dhcp server offer..

scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back