Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up VPN between XP server and Mac Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMittens

Programmer
Dec 20, 2004
CA
Hey there folks,

I want to setup a VPN server on my machine at home. It's running behind a router, and I already have a dynamic DNS service setup on it for VNC purposes. I want to setup the VPN so that I can transfer some data back and forth. Speed isn't an issue, just the existence of the connection is needed.

I setup the server with three logins - the administrator, the regular server's user, and a test account. All three have passwords configured within the VPN connection user profile (or whatever it's called).

My Mac is using OSX.0.4. I've tried connecting using the built-in VPN connection, but it's only allowing an L2TP over IPSEC connection, and I can't see a way to setup PPTP even if I wanted to. It tries to connect, and just returns the useless generic message stating that it can't connect and that I should check my configuration.

I also have Virtual PC 7 on my Mac with Windows XP installed on it. I try connecting to the VPN through that machine using PPTP, and it connects, but when its verifying the username and password, it stalls for about 30 seconds and returns a 619 error.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know. If anyone needs more info, feel free to let me know. I'm pretty stuck here, and I use my server a lot through VNC; the addition of somewhat live data transfering would be a massive help.

It could be the permission issue. thi search result may help,

Receiving VPN error 619 while connecting to a VPN via SBC · VPN Error 624 - Cannot update the phonebook file · VPN Error 628 - The port is disconnected ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

It's either a permission issue or an authentication. However, the steps offered just say check settings. That's the same error my Mac is giving me. I don't know what settings I need to check.

I've never setup a VPN before, and all the tutorials offered online just give instructions on how to run the wizard, not how to actually configure password or keys or certificates on both the server and the client, and that's where I think I'm getting stuck; I don't even know what is involved with encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back